Ethics & Integrity at Cellebrite
“We recognize the immense responsibility that comes with operating a business that partners with law enforcement agencies but protects the privacy of citizens. To that end, Cellebrite and our Board have a deep commitment to creating a safer world and to operating in a lawful and ethical manner that is unwavering.”
Our Commitment to Ethical Business Practices
The actions we take every day support our mission to Protect and Save Lives, Accelerate Justice, and Preserve Data Privacy for organizations and communities around the world.
Board member Haim Shani talks about the development of Cellebrite’s Ethics and Integrity Committee and Ethics Advisory Panel. The panel will be comprised of experts in human rights and international law/regulation; police and former members of the ministry of defense; academics in the field of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data; and community leaders.
Respect for Individual Rights
Cellebrite believes that citizens and organizations have a fundamental right to protect their private information. At the same time, we recognize that countervailing public safety concerns can and should limit this right in certain circumstances.
Cellebrite steadfastly supports the democratic ideals of freedom of speech and freedom of the press. We do not condone the use of Cellebrite’s solutions to access the personal information of journalists, activists or others who are working against the interests of repressive regimes, and doing so outside the bounds of a legally sanctioned investigation expressly violates the terms of our licensing agreements.
Preserving Data Privacy
Protecting data privacy is a core part of our mission at Cellebrite. While citizens should be able to keep their personal information and private lives free from unnecessary and unwanted intrusions, investigations sometimes require authorized and lawful access to an individual’s private data. When this occurs, citizens must be confident that the technology and tools utilized in the investigatory process can maintain the security of their data.
Our Digital Intelligence Platform adheres to a standard model of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) to help keep investigations within legal boundaries while also providing a roadmap to ensure personal privacy.
Protection of Human Rights
Cellebrite remains committed to safeguarding human rights around the world. When used in accordance with the terms of our licensing agreements, our solutions aid in stopping crime, not enabling it.
Our technology helps to convict bad actors and bring justice to victims of crimes, including but not limited to child exploitation and human trafficking. Cellebrite has provided ongoing support to stop trafficking in all its guises by supplying digital intelligence technology and training to agencies and organizations worldwide to stamp out these heinous crimes.
Trust requires transparency and building trust with the communities in which we operate is a primary focus for Cellebrite. We are committed to being transparent about how we operate and to building transparency into the solutions we develop.
Our management and compliance solutions enable an audit trail and can discern who, when and how data was accessed, which leads to accountability in the agencies that use our tools, and in turn engenders trust in Cellebrite.
Enabling Social Good
- Gulf Coast Technology Center Uses Digital Intelligence to Keep Officers and Communities Safe
Find out how a partnership with Cellebrite helped Commander Kevin Levy solve a double homicide.
- Jefferson Parrish Sheriff’s Office: A Model for Digitizing the Investigation Lifecycle
Deputy Chief Tim Scanlan has been a driving force behind his department’s digital transformation with Cellebrite to solve cases faster.
- Protecting privacy is a core part of our mission at Cellebrite, and we have strict licensing policies to govern how customers utilize our technology.
- Our tools are designed to protect privacy and to protect the innocent, while collecting and analyzing data that is critically needed in legally sanctioned investigations.
- Our Digital Intelligence Platform adheres to a standard model of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) to help keep investigations within legal boundaries while also providing a roadmap to ensure an individual’s privacy.
- While our Digital Intelligence platform can make investigations more efficient by revealing connections and identifying the most likely suspects, it can also ‘wall off’ personal information creating the highest standards of privacy practices.
- Learn more about the steps Cellebrite is taking to achieve data privacy in digital policing.
- Cellebrite’s technologies are not used to intercept communication or gather intelligence in real-time. Rather, our tools are forensic in nature and are used to access private data only in accordance with legal due process or with appropriate consent to aid investigations legally after an event has occurred.
- Cellebrite’s licensing agreements govern how customers may utilize our technology. We sell our technology to companies, organizations, and agencies that agree to abide by the strict licensing policies that govern its proper use.
- Importantly, Cellebrite’s technologies are not used for “on-the-wire” surveillance or intelligence gathering. Rather, our solutions are used to access data in accordance with due process (i.e., a warrant or appropriate equivalent depending on the jurisdiction).
- Our commitment to creating a safer world is unwavering.
- We also take appropriate enforcement action on a case-by-case basis.
- Further, we have mechanisms in place on most of our hardware solutions to ensure they do not function past their expiration dates if not legally renewed.
- We understand that we have a responsibility to keep our tools out of the wrong hands.
- We have a strict “know your customer” (“KYC”) process, and our licensing agreements strictly prohibit third-party re-sales.
- Cellebrite technology can only be legally obtained directly from us or an approved reseller, and we take proactive measures to ensure our technology isn’t sold or purchased on secondary markets.
- Under no circumstances may a customer resell, redistribute, transfer or sub-license Cellebrite’s technology to any third party without the express written permission from Cellebrite.
- Cellebrite licenses its technology to government agencies, law enforcement, and enterprises for their use to lawfully access, review, analyze, and manage legally obtained data to bring resolution to investigations and create a safer world.
- We expect our partners to strictly adhere to the terms of their licensing agreements and to Cellebrite’s Standards of Business Conduct.
- Our mission with everything we create (solutions, services, training) is to help our customers improve public safety, victims reclaim their lives, and uncover the truth within each investigation our solutions touch.